07 February 2016

Head Start on reading A to Z Challenge Blogs

I started checking out the bloggers who’ve signed up for the A to Z Challenge.  The next one was 'the NovelOrange.'  She has a page of prompts which I decided I’d try one.  This is the prompt.  Chose to use this one as it resonated with me, sparked an idea.  While strolling through a street fair, a mysterious woman in a yellow cloak thrusts a jar she claims holds people’s memories into your hands. Prompt idea from a fellow A to Z Challenger.   This is just a short post which I may or may not develop further.  Written in one half hour.
***************
“It’s a good thing I didn’t bring much  money with me.  There’s so much to see and I’m tempted to buy something at most of the places I stopped.”
I nodded my head, barely paying attention to Rachael.  There was someone following us and I didn’t want to alarm her.  I mean, it couldn’t have been a coincidence that the flash of yellow was always one booth away from us for the past half hour.  I couldn’t tell if the person was a girl or not.  All I’d been able to tell was the flash of yellow was a cloak, one of those hooded kind.  The hood covered the head, and there was an added layer that covered half the body, like a cape.
Rachael had barely consented to come with me to the fair.  She’d been troubled with an old boyfriend who wouldn’t take no for an answer.  Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t anything to do with him being abusive or stalking her.  Nah.  It was much more simpler.  She didn’t think they were ready to set up housekeeping yet.  Tell you the truth, I think she was right. But it wasn’t my place to tell her that.  I was a bit tired of giving her advice she wasn’t going to take.  Figured if she stuck to her guns bout this without me saying anything, she was ready to be on her own for a bit.  And that’s what I’ve been telling her since we were kids.
I didn’t want to say anything cause her boyfriend did like to dress in those types of clothes.  He was into medieval stuff. Cept this person wasn’t as tall.  So what would be the point in saying anything to Rachael?
“Do you think we could find something to eat?  And drink?  It’s getting hot and I’d like to be out of the shade.”
I nodded my head.
“What’s wrong?  You haven’t been talking for a while.  Usually, you’re.”
A flash of yellow and I step in front of Rachael.  It’s a woman who has floral tattoos on her forehead and cheeks.  The inside of the bright yellow cloak she’s wearing is orange and her black hair goes down past her shoulders.  I reach out to stop her when she pulls something out of her little cape.  She shoves a jar into my hands.
“Here’s a present for you from your Aunt.  It holds some memories that she wants you to have.”  She glances over her shoulder and steps back.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome story! I'm so thrilled you were able to find inspiration in one of my prompts! YAY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm thinking of maybe finishing this at some point. Will let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated. Just remember-children may be reading these.

I turned off the captcha but not moderation. Sorry. This is a way for me to make sure I do not miss a comment as I am notified.